Life As We Know IT

This blog is designed to discuss ideas between the Shirley Family and friends. Ideas dealing with all aspects of Life are welcome.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Heroes



There were a lot of heroes during 9/11. Today makes 5 years since this earth-changing event. So, it begs the question: Where where you on 9/11?

What does being a hero mean? I looked up the definition just for kicks. Here is what dictionary.com says a hero is:

hero–noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.
1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
2. a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal: He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.

I find it interesting that the first line refers to only a "man". Weren't there plenty of female heroes as well? When will the rights of all people reach a lowely dictionary definition.

Anyway, I remember...I was in Japan on my ship and we got underway two days later. We headed for Malacca Straights. I remember. Do you?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was at Girlstown and all the girls were off to school. I was cleaning in the kitchen and had the radio on. I heard something about bombs ,planes New York and thought what are they talking about.I turned on the tv and was glued to it in total shock and chills came over me. I told Dad and he called our other houseparents to tell them. It was their day off so they were still asleep. He didn't believe Dad, thought he was joking, then got up later to flip channels and saw it.

Wednesday, September 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home